Prerequisites for Transfer Applicants
In order to be considered for admission, applicants who are transferring to the UW must complete three prerequisite courses by the end of the quarter or semester prior to submitting their application to the Informatics program. Coursework taken by transfer students generally falls into one of the following categories:
UW Bothell or UW Tacoma
Students taking coursework at UW Bothell or UW Tacoma should take the classes listed below.
Washington State community or technical college
Students taking coursework at a Washington State community or technical college that has a transfer agreement with the UW should refer to the UW Equivalency Guide to find courses that are equivalent to the prerequisite courses listed in the “UW Equivalent” column below.
Schools without a transfer agreement
Students attending a four-year school or an out-of-state community college should take equivalent courses at the school they are attending. Learn about our practices and policies regarding how we review transfer credits.
Grade & Range
|UW Bothell||UW Tacoma||UW Equiv-
ming (one class)*
|CSS 142 (formerly CSS 161) or CSS 143||TCSS 142||CSE 121, CSE 122, CSE 123, CSE 142, or CSE 143|
|Statistics (one class)*||
|BIS 215 (formerly BIS 315), B MATH 215 or B BUS 215, STMATH 341||TMATH 110||STAT 220, STAT 221 or STAT 311|
|Social Sciences (SSc) course (one class)||
|Any course with SSc (Social Sciences) designation, formerly I&S (Individuals & Societies)||Any [SSc]|
*Additional UW statistics or computer science classes may be accepted.
**Only the most common UW prerequisite courses are listed in this column. Transfer students can take courses are that equivalent to any that are listed in the Prerequisite Course list for current UW students.
- Prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of 2.0 or higher, AP/IB scores (if awarded credit by the UW), or Cr (if a Cr/NC class).
- Prerequisite courses taken for an S grade will count toward prerequisites.
- Courses equivalent to INFO 200 are not generally available outside the UW, and transfer students or those who attend UW Bothell or UW Tacoma are not expected to have taken it.
- If you have taken multiple classes that fulfill the same requirement, we will consider the course where you earned the highest grade.
- Prerequisite courses must be completed by the end of the quarter prior to the application deadline. For Winter Quarter start it means the Summer before. For Autumn Quarter start it means the Winter Quarter or Fall Semester before.
- Transfer students who started at the UW in Winter quarter are not expected/required to have taken INFO 200 in order to be eligible for the next Autumn quarter admission.
- Transfer students who started at the UW in Autumn quarter are not expected/required to have INFO 200 in order to be eligible for the next Winter quarter admission.