Prerequisites for Transfer Applicants
In order to be considered for admission, applicants who are transferring to the UW must complete four prerequisite courses by the end of the quarter or semester prior to submitting their application to the Informatics program. Coursework taken by transfer students generally falls into one of the following categories:
UW Bothell or UW Tacoma
Students taking coursework at UW Bothell or UW Tacoma should take the classes listed below.
Washington State community or technical college
Students taking coursework at a Washington State community or technical college that has a transfer agreement with the UW should refer to the UW Equivalency Guide to find courses that are equivalent to the prerequisite courses listed in the “UW Equivalent” column below.
Schools without a transfer agreement
Students attending a four-year school or an out-of-state community college should take equivalent courses at the school they are attending. Learn about our practices and policies regarding how we review transfer credits.
|Prerequisite||UW Bothell||UW Tacoma||UW Equivalent**|
|Computer programming (one class)*||CSS 142 (formerly CSS 161)||TCSS 142||CSE 142|
|Statistics (one class)*||BIS 315, B MATH 215 or B BUS 215, STMATH 341||TMATH 110||STAT 220, STAT 221 or STAT 311|
|English composition (one class)||BWRIT 133, BWRIT 134 or BWRIT 135||T CORE 101, TWRT 112, TWRT 121, TWRT 211, TWRT 291 or TWRT 331||ENGL 131|
|Individuals and Societies course (one class)||Any course with I&S designation||Any [I&S]|
*Additional UW statistics or computer science classes may be accepted.
**Only the most common UW prerequisite courses are listed in this column. Transfer students can take courses are that equivalent to any that are listed in the Prerequisite Course list for current UW students.
- Prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of 2.0 or higher, AP/IB scores (if awarded credit by the UW), or Cr (if a Cr/NC class).
- Prerequisite courses taken for S/NS during Extraordinary Circumstances quarters may count toward prerequisites.
- Courses equivalent to INFO 200 are not generally available outside the UW, and transfer students or those who attend UW Bothell or UW Tacoma are not expected to have taken it.
- If you have taken multiple classes that fulfill the same requirement, we will consider the course where you earned the highest grade.
- Prerequisite courses must be completed by the end of the quarter prior to submitting your application.
- Transfer students who started at the UW in Winter quarter are not expected/required to have taken INFO 200 in order to be eligible for the next Autumn quarter admission.
- Transfer students who started at the UW in Autumn quarter are not expected/required to have INFO 200 in order to be eligible for the next Winter quarter admission.
- Transfer students are only allowed one “grace quarter” where INFO 200 is not required (described above). If they chose to apply in a future cycle, they would be considered a current UW student and INFO 200 would be required.