Ph.D. Admissions Overview
The online application opens annually on Sept. 1 and has a Dec. 1 deadline. Use the link below for details regarding the admissions timeline and deadline policy.
All applicants to the Ph.D. program must meet the following basic requirements:
- Bachelor's degree* or higher in any discipline (must be equivalent to a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution)
- Non-native English speakers must fulfill the UW English language proficiency requirements
- Note: The UW Graduate School has a minimum GPA requirement. As detailed on their website, individual programs may consider qualified applicants with a GPA below a 3.0.
*In order to be eligible to apply for autumn quarter, applicants must have earned their bachelor's degree by the end of that summer. Applicants do not have to have earned their bachelor's degree prior to applying for the program.
Application Materials Checklist
- Online application through MyGrad
- Personal statement
- Diversity statement
- Research statement
- Recommendations (three)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Faculty and research interests
- Official GRE scores (optional)
- Non-native English speakers: English language proficiency requirement
- Optional: Extenuating circumstances or additional information
- Optional: Submit work sample
Application Fee and Fee Waiver
The application fee is $85 USD, payable online be debit or credit card. Qualified applicants can request a fee waiver through the Graduate School following the process outlined on the Graduate School's website.
All application materials are submitted online or are reported electronically. Please do not mail paper application materials to the Information School.
Connect with Us
Planning a visit to Seattle? Schedule an iVisit! You can set up a tour, visit a class or meet with a current student. If you're not able to travel, we can also help you connect with a current student over email.