Ph.D. Admissions Overview
The online application opens annually on Sept. 1 and has a Dec. 1 deadline. Use the link below for details regarding the admissions timeline and deadline policy.
All applicants to the Ph.D. program must meet the following basic requirements:
- Bachelor's degree* or higher in any discipline (must be equivalent to a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution)
- Non-native English speakers must fulfill the UW English language proficiency requirements
- Note: The UW Graduate School has a minimum GPA requirement. As detailed on their website, individual programs may consider qualified applicants with a GPA below a 3.0.
*In order to be eligible to apply for autumn quarter, applicants must have earned their bachelor's degree by the end of that summer. Applicants do not have to have earned their bachelor's degree prior to applying for the program.
Application Materials Checklist
- Online application through MyGrad
- Personal statement
- Diversity statement
- Research statement
- Recommendations (three)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Faculty and research interests
- Official GRE scores (optional)
- Non-native English speakers: English language proficiency requirement
- Optional: Extenuating circumstances or additional information
- Optional: Submit work sample
Application Fee and Fee Waiver
The application fee is $85 USD, payable online be debit or credit card. Qualified applicants can request a fee waiver through the Graduate School following the process outlined on the Graduate School's website.
All application materials are submitted online or are reported electronically. Please do not mail paper application materials to the Information School.
Meet an iDiversity Ambassador
Information science needs more diverse and equity-minded voices and perspectives in research and the professoriate. In an effort to recruit and support BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Color) students and students from other underrepresented minoritized groups, iSchool Diversity Ambassadors — current Information School graduate student volunteers — assist prospective students who are considering study at the UW Information School. Please visit our iDiversity Ambassador page for more information.
Connect with Us
Schedule an iVisit! You can set up a time to meet with a current student over email or Zoom.