MSIM Admissions Overview
- Residential applicants: The application for Autumn 2023 is now open. Admissions timeline and deadline policy.
- Online applicants: Applications are open now. See our MSIM online portal for details.
Applicants to the MSIM program must meet the following basic requirements:
- Bachelor's degree* or higher in any discipline (must be equivalent to a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution)
- Non-native English speakers must fulfill the UW English language proficiency requirements. If using the TOEFLiBT to fulfill this requirement, a minimum score of 100 is required for Early-Career and Early-Career Accelerated applicants. (Note: The MSIM admissions committee has established a higher minimum TOEFLiBT requirement than that of the UW Graduate School.)
- Mid-Career applicants must show 5 years of relevant professional experience. Early-Career and Early-Career Accelerated applicants are not required to show work experience.
- The UW Graduate School has a minimum GPA requirement. As detailed on their website, individual programs may consider qualified applicants with a GPA below a 3.0. Applicants with a lower GPA may want to provide additional information in the Extenuating Circumstances part of the application.
- Official GRE or GMAT scores. Early-Career and Early-Career Accelerated candidates who have earned a bachelor's degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution located in the U.S. are exempt from the requirement. All Mid-Career applicants are also exempt from the requirement.
- Students who are requesting an F-1 (student) visa should review the visa limitations for full-time study on the International Student Services website.
* You must earn your bachelor's degree before enrolling in the MSIM program. However, you may apply before you have completed your bachelor's degree. For example, an applicant may apply to begin the program in autumn if they expect to finish their undergraduate degree during the prior summer.
- Applicants to the residential program modes will apply online through the UW's Application for Graduate Study and should select one of the following program options:
- Applicants to the online program modes will apply through the MSIM online portal and should select one of the following tracks:
- Early-Career Online
- Early-Career Accelerated Online
- Mid-Career Online
- Statement of Purpose
- Recommendations (two)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Specialization Selection
- GRE/GMAT scores (see exemptions through link below)
- Non-native English speakers: English language proficiency requirement
Review and/or consideration of incomplete applications or late materials is at the discretion of the MSIM admissions committee. If application materials are missing due to circumstances beyond the applicant's control, the committee will take that into consideration and make its judgment based on the information available.
Application Fee and Fee Waiver
The application fee is $85 USD, payable online by debit or credit card. To request a fee waiver, follow the process outlined on the Graduate School's website.
All application materials are submitted online or electronically. Please do not mail paper application materials to the Information School.
It is our expectation that you have thoroughly researched the UW iSchool and the MSIM program prior to completing this application. Accordingly, you should be familiar with the vision, mission and values of the iSchool and the MSIM program. You should also have a general understanding of the academic design of the MSIM program, its curriculum and specializations. Please be sure to use this foundational knowledge as the basis for responding to the prompts on the application.