MSIM Admissions Overview
- Residential applicants: The application for Autumn 2024 will open on September 15, 2023. Admissions timeline and deadline policy.
- Online applicants: Applications are open now. See our MSIM online portal for details.
Applicants to the MSIM program must meet the following basic requirements:
- All applicants must have an undergraduate degree or higher in any discipline (must be equivalent to a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution). The undergraduate degree must be awarded before MSIM courses begin. Applicants may apply before their degree is awarded.
- Non-native English speakers must fulfill the UW English language proficiency requirements. When fulfilling this requirement through test scores, the following minimum test score must be met:
- TOEFLiBT - 100
- Duolingo - 120
- IELTS - 7.0
- The UW Graduate School has a minimum GPA requirement of 3.0. Any applicant with a GPA below 3.0 is welcome to apply to the MSIM program. They will need to demonstrate professional achievements, analytical and intellectual maturity, and overall readiness for graduate education through their application.
- Applicants with an undergraduate degree from outside the U.S. or Canada must submit official GRE scores. All mid-career applicants are exempt from this requirement.
- Mid-Career applicants must show five years of relevant professional experience post-undergraduate degree. Early-Career and Early-Career Accelerated applicants are not required to show work experience.
- Applicants to the residential program modes will apply online through the UW's Application for Graduate Study and should select one of the following program options:
- Applicants to the online program modes will apply through the MSIM online portal and should select one of the following tracks:
- Early-Career Online
- Early-Career Accelerated Online
- Mid-Career Online
- Statement of Purpose
- Recommendations (two)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Specialization Selection
- GRE/GMAT scores (see exemptions through link below)
- Non-native English speakers: English language proficiency requirement
Review and/or consideration of incomplete applications or late materials is at the discretion of the MSIM admissions committee. If application materials are missing due to circumstances beyond the applicant's control, the committee will take that into consideration and make its judgment based on the information available.
Application Fee and Fee Waiver
The application fee is $85 USD, payable online by debit or credit card. To request a fee waiver, follow the process outlined on the Graduate School's website.
All application materials are submitted online or electronically. Please do not mail paper application materials to the Information School.
It is our expectation that you have thoroughly researched the UW iSchool and the MSIM program prior to completing this application. Accordingly, you should be familiar with the vision, mission and values of the iSchool and the MSIM program. You should also have a general understanding of the academic design of the MSIM program, its curriculum and specializations. Please be sure to use this foundational knowledge as the basis for responding to the prompts on the application.