Dear Employer Partners,
The UW began spring quarter with all classes to be delivered remotely for the duration of the quarter. The UW and iSchool’s shared goal remains to protect the health of our community while confronting the grand challenges of our time through undaunted research and scholarship.
Please know that we are here to support employers during this time and we look forward to working together to connect you with iSchool talent. Our Career Services team is available remotely to discuss recruiting strategies and support your current and future needs. In order to support this partnership, we have two requests:
- If there are any updates to your recruitment plans that will impact students (i.e., changes to offers, start dates, internship programs, etc.), we would appreciate hearing from you so we can support students through these changes. Please take a few moments to fill out this four-question survey or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your updates.
- If you have current openings at your company that you are still planning to fill with our highly skilled undergraduates and graduates, we strongly recommend posting to our internal job and internship board, iCareers. If you would like your position featured in our weekly career newsletter, please also email email@example.com.
We have also created an Employer FAQ page (see below) to offer recommendations for virtual opportunities to connect with iSchool students and help answer questions you may have during this period of adjustment.
We thank you for your incredible patience and flexibility as we all navigate these strange times.
Caitlin Goldbaum, Assistant Director for Career Services
Where can I find out more information and follow updates on UW operations?
As this situation remains fluid, the best source of up-to-date information for the University of Washington is always uw.edu/coronavirus. In addition, our central Career & Internship Center has created a broader UW-wide Employer FAQ site. However, please continue to read on for more iSchool-specific information.
How and when can I contact iSchool Career Services?
While our office may be closed, our Career Services team will be working regular business hours remotely (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.). The best way to get in touch is by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have suggestions on how to continue to engage with iSchool students in our new virtual world?
There are multiple types of virtual events that companies can host in order to engage with students. The following are a few suggestions:
- Host a virtual info session to discuss opportunities and provide time for Q&A
- Host virtual group coffee chats
- Host a virtual company tour
- Host a webinar to support student development of soft or technical skills
How do I request a virtual event?
Email email@example.com with the following information:
- Your name
- Type of virtual session you’d like to host and a short description of your event
- 3 date options and preferred times
- Programs you hope to target (B.S. in Informatics; M.S. in Information Management; Master of Library Science; Ph.D. in Information Science)
- Are you recruiting for any particular positions?
- Can you hire international students?
- Any additional information
We promote events on the main iSchool website, our student job board (iCareers), on student group Facebook pages, and in our weekly Career Services newsletter. To help us advertise, we recommend employers submit a promotional blurb for their events to give students an idea of what to expect.
Which platforms do you suggest we use to connect with students for virtual events?
You are welcome to use your company’s preferred system, however if you are looking for outside resources, please note all UW students have access to Zoom, Skype and Google Hangouts with their UW email address.
How do I get help if I have additional questions?
* * *
The iSchool partners with companies, nonprofits and government organizations to fund mutually beneficial research, provide learning and career opportunities for students through our jobs board, and advise on curriculum matters. Many partners become members of the iAffiliates program to customize their involvement.
Ways employers partner with the iSchool
Hire iSchool talent
iSchool graduates are sought after for their superior knowledge and skills in the information field. Top iSchool employers include Accenture, Amazon, Boeing, Chicago Public Library, Disney Interactive Media Group, Ernst & Young, Google, Group Health Cooperative, Microsoft, REI, Seattle Public Library, Serials Solutions, and ZAAZ to name a few.
Post job and internship opportunities
Sharing job and internship opportunities with our students at the iSchool is easy. We use our online jobs board and internship database, iCareers, to make opportunities available to iSchool students. Create an account and post your opportunity now.
Get involved through events
Sponsor a Capstone project
All iSchool students are required to do a Capstone project prior to graduation. They work with organizations to apply their knowledge and skills acquired in academic courses to real-world projects assigned by a partnering organization. Learn more about sponsoring a project in our Capstone section.
Learn more about our students
View career profiles of our recent graduates: