Schools and Transcripts
Applicants are required to provide information about all schools where they have earned academic credit and are required to provide a transcript for each.
Applicants who are not attending the UW during spring term will be contacted with instructions for providing a transcript after spring grades are posted.
Applicants will provide information about the prerequisite courses.
In addition to providing information about your prerequisite grades and academic history, you will submit a one-page document (formatting requirements provided below). The Informatics admissions committee will review this document to learn more about your goals, interests, and experiences, as they relate to the Informatics program. While you’re allowed to communicate anything you would like, the committee is most interested in three areas:
- Your academic performance, such as specific grades or projects of which you’re proud. Tell the academic story behind your transcripts.
- Ambitions or life experiences that led to your interest in Informatics. What led to you applying?
- Experiences with diversity or adversity that strengthened your character or gave you perspective. How have your life experiences shaped your goals and interests?
The document you submit can address all three areas, a combination of them, or something else entirely. Focus on your strengths and what makes you unique.
Any form of document is acceptable, including traditional essays, infographics, diagrams, visualizations, or any combination of your choosing. We recommend you first think about what you want to communicate and then devise an effective way to convey that information to our diverse admissions committee members. Test and refine it until it communicates what you intend.
Note that the admissions committee is not looking for just one type of student. Informatics needs diversity of all kinds to thrive. The best strategy is to be honest and clear about yourself so that we understand who you are, where you want to go, and how well-prepared you are to get there.
You can put anything that you want on this page, as long as it satisfies the following requirements:
- It must be single-page PDF, 8.5 inches by 11 inches with 1-inch margins.
- Any static content is fine, including text, images, or vector graphics.
- No links are allowed. The content must be entirely contained within the PDF.
- Any fonts are fine, but be sure font sizes are at least 12-point and that the fonts are embedded in the PDF. Most applications that produce PDFs do this by default to guarantee that anyone reviewing the document sees the same thing, but you should check to be sure. There are several resources online on how to verify that fonts are embedded.
- The file must be less than or equal to 3 MB in size. Be careful about including high-resolution images.
Applicants will only be able to submit the materials listed on this page. The Informatics Admissions Committee will not review any additional materials (recommendations, resumes, etc.).
**All application instructions and requirements are subject to change until the application opens.**