MLIS Admissions Overview
The MLIS Admissions Committee has decided to do a third (and final) round of admissions for Autumn 2018. The application deadline for this cycle is May 1. Start your application here.
All applicants to the MLIS program must meet the following basic requirements:
- Bachelor's degree* or higher in any discipline (must be equivalent to a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution)
- Law MLIS program applicants must have a JD from a law school within the U.S.
- Non-native English speakers must fulfill the UW English language proficiency requirements
- Note: The UW Graduate School has a minimum GPA requirement. As detailed on their website, individual programs may consider qualified applicants with a GPA below a 3.0.
- Applicants with a lower GPA are strongly encouraged to provide additional information in the extenuating circumstances part of the application.
- Though not part of our standard process, the Graduate School may consider GRE scores for applicants who require a low GPA petition. Therefore, applicants with a lower GPA are also encouraged to submit GRE scores (ETS report code 4854).
*In order to be eligible to apply for autumn quarter, applicants must have earned their bachelor's degree by the end of that summer. Applicants do not need to have earned their bachelor's degree prior to applying for the program.
Application Materials Checklist
- Online application through MyGrad
- Personal statement
- Recommendations (three)
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Program mode preference
- Supplemental questions
- Extenuating circumstances (optional)
- Scholarship information (optional)
- Official GRE scores (optional)
- Law MLIS applicants - LSAT score
- Non-native English speakers - English language proficiency
All application materials are submitted online or electronically. Please do not mail paper application materials to the Information School.
Connect with Us
Planning a visit to Seattle? Schedule an iVisit! You can set up a tour, visit a class or meet with a current student. If you're not able to travel, we can also help you connect with a current student over email.