MSIM Admissions Overview
The admissions process for Autumn 2020 is now open. Use the link below to get detailed information about the timeline and process. Both the Early-Career (formerly "Full-Time") and Mid-Career programs have multiple deadlines through the year.
Applicants to the MSIM program must meet the following basic requirements:
- Bachelor's degree* or higher in any discipline (must be equivalent to a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution)
- Non-native English speakers must fulfill the UW English language proficiency requirements
- If using the TOEFLiBT to fulfill this requirement, a minimum score of 100 is required (Note: The MSIM admissions committee has established a higher minimum TOEFLiBT requirement than that of the UW Graduate School)
- Mid-Career applicants must show 5 years of relevant, post-baccalaureate work experience. (Early-Career applicants are not required to show work experience.)
- The UW Graduate School has a minimum GPA requirement. As detailed on their website, individual programs may consider qualified applicants with a GPA below a 3.0. Applicants with a lower GPA may want to provide additional information in the Extenuating Circumstances part of the application.
*In order to be eligible to apply for autumn quarter, applicants must have earned their bachelor's degree by the end of that summer. Applicants do not have to have earned their bachelor's degree prior to applying for the program.
- Online application through MyGrad
- Applicants to the Mid-Career program should select "Information School - Master of Science in Information Mgmt (MSIM - Mid career)"
- Applicants to the 2-year Early-Career program should select "Information School - Master of Science in Information Mgmt (FT MSIM - 2 year)"
- Applicants to the 1-year Early-Career program should select "Information School - Master of Science in Information Mgmt (FT MSIM - 1 year)"
- Personal statement
- Statement of purpose
- Recommendations (three)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Specialization Selection
- GRE/GMAT scores (Early-Career program only)**
- Non-native English speakers: English language proficiency requirement
**Applicants with a doctorate (PhD, JD, MD, PharmD, etc) from the United States are not required to submit GRE/GMAT scores. Having a master's degree does not provide exemption from the GRE/GMAT requirement.
All application materials are submitted online or electronically. Please do not mail paper application materials to the Information School.
It is our expectation that you have thoroughly researched the UW iSchool and the MSIM program prior to completing this application. Accordingly, you should be familiar with the vision, mission and values of the iSchool and the MSIM program. You should also have a general understanding of the academic design of the MSIM program, its curriculum and specializations. Please be sure to use this foundational knowledge as the basis for responding to the prompts below.
Connect with Us
Planning a visit to Seattle? Schedule an iVisit! You can set up a tour, visit a class or meet with a current student. If you're not able to travel, we can also help you connect with a current student over email.