MSIM Application Process
The following information applies to admissions for the MSIM Early-Career and Early-Career Accelerated tracks offered in residential mode. Online students should consult admissions information for online applicants.
Autumn 2021 Early-Career MSIM Admissions Timeline: Residential Applicants
|Application period||Application Deadline||Decision notification
(at the latest) *
|Reply deadline **||Eligibility|
|Round 1||Sept. 1 - Nov. 15||Nov. 15, 2020, 11:59 p.m. PT||Jan. 15||April 15||All applicants|
|Round 2||Nov. 16 - Jan. 15||Jan. 15, 2021, 11:59 p.m. PT||March 15||April 15||All applicants|
|Round 3||Jan. 16 - May 1||May 1, 2021, 11:59 p.m. PT||May 31||July 1||U.S. citizens and permanent residentsꜜ|
* After a round of review, if no decision has been reached, the admissions committee may choose to put some applicants "on hold" and move them to the next round of review. Applicants with this status will be notified.
** In order to accept the offer of admission, applicants are required to pay a $250 non-refundable deposit, which will go toward their autumn quarter tuition. Additionally, applicants will need to fulfill other requirements as outlined by the UW Graduate School, such as submitting official transcripts and measles immunization documentation.
***As cohorts approach maximum capacity in the later cycles, our admissions decisions necessarily become more selective. Additionally, funding opportunities decrease throughout the academic year, so applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early.
ꜜ The eligibility requirements may be adjusted as we receive applications and have an opportunity to evaluate the pool. International applicants should plan to apply during Round 1 or 2 to ensure consideration.
Note: Office hours for the Information School and Graduate School are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Staff from these offices will not be available outside of these times to answer questions. If the deadline listed falls on a weekend, please contact the appropriate office during business hours with questions.
For each round, the MyGrad application and all application materials possible, including recommendations, should be submitted by the stated deadline. Review and/or consideration of incomplete applications or late materials is at the discretion of the MSIM admissions committee. If application materials are missing due to circumstances beyond the applicant's control, the committee will take that into consideration and make its judgment based on the information available.
Autumn 2021 Mid-Career MSIM Admissions Timeline: Residential Applicants
The 2021 process will have four rounds of review, based on four application deadlines.
|Application period||Deadline||Decision notification||Response date|
|Round 1||Sept. 1 - Jan. 15||Jan. 15, 2021, 11:59 p.m. PT||Feb. 15||April 15|
|Round 2||Jan. 16 - March 15||March 15, 2021, 11:59 p.m. PT||Approximately April 1||Approximately May 1|
|Round 3||March 16 - May 1||May 1, 2021, 11:59 p.m. PT||Approximately May 15||Approximately June 15|
|Round 4||May 2 - Aug. 1||Aug. 1, 2021, 11:59 p.m. PT||Aug. 7||Aug. 15|
Admissions Process and Deadline Policy
For the 2021 application cycle, the Mid-Career MSIM program will have a modified rolling admissions process. Applications will be reviewed and decisions made in four rounds, according to the grid above. The following basic guidelines will be observed:
- All applications submitted during the application period will be reviewed after the stated deadline.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit all materials by the deadline.
- Incomplete applications will still be reviewed and considered for admission.
- In the case of an incomplete application, the MSIM admissions committee may hold the application until all materials have been received. (Applications may be moved from one round to another if no decision has been issued.)
- Some applicants may be contacted directly for additional information.
- In order to accept the offer of admission, applicants are required to pay a $250 non-refundable deposit, which will go toward their autumn quarter tuition. Additionally, applicants will need to fulfill other requirements as outlined by the UW Graduate School, such as submitting official transcripts and measles immunization documentation (residential students only).