Jason Yip was awarded $68,833 in a National Institutes of Health (NIH) grant titled, “Pilot mobile-wearable just-in-time adaptive intervention (JITAI) for sun safety among children.” He will work with Principal Investigator Jim Huh from the University of Southern California (USC) on this research grant that was awarded a total of $261,678.
Anna Lauren Hoffmann's paper "Where Fairness Fails: Data, Algorithms, and the Limits of Antidiscrimination Discourse" has been published with Information, Communication, and Society.
Jaime Snyder presented an invited lecture to the Data Analytics group at University College Dublin in Ireland titled, "Obstacles to Empathy: Visually Encoding Personal Data for Vulnerable Populations."
Hans Jochen Scholl had the paper "Regulation as Both Enabler of Technology Use and Global Competitive Tool: The Case of Gibraltar” accepted to Government Information Quarterly, which is the leading journal in Digital Government. The manuscript was co-authored with Manuel Pedro Rodríguez Bolívar, full professor at the University of Granada, Spain.
The iSchool’s TASCHA (Technology and Social Change group) has all of the following to share:
- Stacey Wedlake, TASCHA (Technology and Social Change) Research Coordinator & Analyst, participated on a panel about the City of Seattle’s Digital Equity Initiative, along with David Keyes, Steven Maheshwary, and Marcellus Turner. The panel took place at Seattle Pacific University and the student newspaper, The Falcon, wrote about it in the article, Discussing access to technology.
- Chris Jowaisas and Jason Young, Senior Research Scientists, will give a presentation on the Advancing Library Visibility in Africa project at the 3rd African Library & Information Associations & Institutions (AfLIA) Conference & 5th African Library Summit.
- Bree Norlander, Research Scientist, along with Nicholas Weber will present the paper, “Open Data Publishing by Public Libraries” at the Joint Conference on Digital Libraries in Urbana-Champaign, Illinois. The ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL) is a major international forum focusing on digital libraries and associated technical, practical, and social issues.
- Finally, two years after the release of the Development and Access to Information 2017 report, the second Development and Access to Information (DA2i) report will be formally launched at the Forum of Ministers and Secretaries of Culture of Latin America and the Caribbean and presented at the IFLA President’s Meeting 2019. The report was produced in partnership by TASCHA and the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA). Maria Garrido, Principal Research Scientist, has the honor of presenting the first chapter of the report.
GeekWire covered Alexis Hiniker’s and Jason Yip’s CHI papers in the following articles:
- Alexis Hiniker: Univ. of Washington studies compulsive phone use: what triggers us to look and what makes us stop.