Since 2008, the iSchool has partnered with the UW’s Study Abroad Office to offer Exploration Seminars short-term study abroad programs (3-4 weeks) led by UW faculty that take place during the gap period between the end of the UW summer quarter and beginning of the autumn quarter.
Study Abroad Credits and Benefits
Students can earn an average of 4-5 credits toward their degree when they participate in a study abroad program. Some programs are designed to align with a core LIS course offering which allows for core course waivers (i.e., LIS 560 in Denmark). Study abroad opportunities position students as future leaders in the global information society by exposing them to cross-cultural settings and international perspectives.
How to Apply
By late December or early January each year, the programs for the upcoming summer are announced. Application deadlines range from January to February. Current students must apply for a spot in a program. Required application materials vary per program and may include a personal statement, answers to supplemental questions, and/or letters of recommendation. Accepted students will be notified by late March. Program costs vary and often cover tuition, room and board, some travel, and/or some meals. Financial aid may help cover program costs. Contact your academic adviser to find out how an Exploration Seminar may fit in with your degree plans.
Visit the UW Study Abroad website or click on the links below to learn more about the 2017 sessions:
- iSchool England: Wizards, Whangdoodles & Whizzpoppers: Children's Literature in the U.K. Aug. 20 - Sept. 12, 2017, in London, Cambridge and Newcastle, England.
- iSchool Ghana - Experience Research: Communication Technologies and Development in Southern Ghana. Aug. 24 - Sept. 22, 2017, Accra, Ghana.
- iSchool Netherlands - Dutch Designs: Innovation in Library, Museum, and Information Services in the Netherlands. Aug. 20 - Sept. 6, 2017, Amsterdam and Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- iSchool South Korea: Information, Technology and Society in Modern Korea (Exploration Seminar). Aug. 13 - Sept. 9, 2017, Seoul and Busan, South Korea.
- iSchool Tahiti: Place, Identity, and Traditional Knowledge. June 18 - July 15, 2017, Papeete, French Polynesia