What is Information Management?
In today’s knowledge economy, organizations that can’t properly utilize their information assets risk serious failure. Information management is an emerging field that is concerned with:
- The infrastructure used to collect, manage, preserve, store and deliver information
- The guiding principles that allow information to be available to the right people at the right time
- The view that all information, both digital and physical, is an asset that requires proper management
- The organizational and social contexts in which information exists
The purpose of information management is to:
- design, develop, manage, and use information with insight and innovation
- support decision making and create value for individuals, organizations, communities, and societies
Why the iSchool?
The iSchool MSIM degree combines the study of management, information and technology concepts in an interdisciplinary approach that will support your career goals.
The iSchool helps you develop a deep understanding of the users of information and the organizational and social goals information management serves. As a result, you are equipped to use information both as a competitive tool and a means to create positive organizational change.
Compared with traditional MBA or technology degrees, the MSIM approach teaches you to effectively utilize the most valuable assets belonging to any organization: information and people. You will learn management concepts without needing to specialize in a particular business concentration. You will learn about technology without needing to learn code-level concepts.
At the iSchool, we educate practitioners and create leaders who can address the information challenges that face any organization. We provide you with a variety of specialization options, in order to give you maximum career flexibility.
At the iSchool, you will find:
- Faculty with real-world experience
- Research projects that inform the curriculum
- A network of peers with global experience
- Full-time day or part-time weekend options
- Emphasis on applying classroom learning through internships and a capstone project
- Affiliates program that connects students with industry partners