MSIM Early-Career Option
An MSIM is within your reach! No prerequisite coursework or technology experience is required.
People, Information, Technology
The Master of Science in Information Management (MSIM) Early-Career degree option complements a bachelor’s degree in business, humanities, social sciences, arts or sciences by opening new doors for career possibilities in any information-related field. Our information management degree program focuses on the intersection between people, information and technology, in order to prepare you to develop, implement and manage systems and networks of information to meet the needs of organizations of all types and sizes.
- 65 credits, completed in as few as 6 quarters, with most residential classes during the day on weekdays, or entirely online on your schedule.
- Offered in residential and 100% online modes. See our MSIM online portal for more information about completing the Early-Career track online.
- Option to complete up to two specializations.
- Opportunity to complete one or more internships and a Capstone project. The Capstone project is required, and an internship is strongly recommended as part of completion of this track, providing both in-depth knowledge and practical experience in areas of student interest.
- For international residential students: Up to 4 quarters of Curricular Practical Training (CPT) available.
- CPT is temporary employment authorization for F-1 visa non-immigrant foreign students in the United States while enrolled in a residential college-level degree program. Eligibility is determined on an individual basis. CPT is not available to students in the online degree options.
- Access to iSchool resources, including the Career Services team and iCareers database, for the full duration of their program — at least two years.
Focused Learning with Specializations
In addition to the core curriculum, students may choose to focus their electives in one or two specialization areas, or may choose electives across the breadth of the curriculum for a broad-based degree in information management. Learn about specializations you can choose in the Information Management degree program.
Which Early-Career MSIM suits you?
The Early-Career MSIM is well-suited for recent college graduates or those with less than five years' professional experience, as well as those who are looking for an opportunity to explore a wide range of topics and hands-on experiences. It offers ample time to complete one or more internships and the opportunity to add a second specialization. Meanwhile, the MSIM Early-Career Accelerated track is well-suited for recent graduates with more focused academic goals. The Early-Career track requires a minimum of 65 credits, while the Early-Career Accelerated track requires a minimum of 40. See degree plans.
Enrollment in the MSIM Early-Career option is open to domestic and international applicants. Applicants to this program need not have prior experience in the information field, and applications are welcomed from any undergraduate degree background.
Study On-Campus or Online
Are you interested in earning your MSIM degree part-time while working, or do you need added flexibility? Explore the online Early-Career option.
Not sure which mode of study is right for you? Explore our FAQ about the online vs. residential degree options.