Academic and Career Advising
Have questions about courses or degree requirements? Want advice on how to start your job hunt or negotiate a job offer? Advisors in the iSchool Student Services office are here to help. Our goal is to provide you with quality support throughout your iSchool experience as you explore, develop, and pursue opportunities that align with your life and career goals.
Current iSchool students can email or call an advisor, or use iCareers to schedule a one-on-one appointment (phone or virtual). Please note that iCareers is only available to current iSchool students; prospective students can email iAsk@uw.edu to schedule an advising appointment.
Advisors and other student services staff at the iSchool are "Campus Security Authorities" under the Clery Act and must report some criminal actions and hate related crimes to UWPD when disclosed. Issues involving citizenship or immigration status are not reported.
How can we help?
Consult your academic advisor for topics such as:
- How to register for courses
- Guidance on academic performance or other concerns about courses
- Degree plans and course suggestions, including how to integrate an internship or fieldwork in your degree plan
- Information on culminating experience (i.e., Capstone) options
- Policies and procedures at the UW, Graduate School, iSchool, or degree program level
- Filling out forms and paperwork
- Approval of transfer credits, out-of-school courses, etc.
- Navigating through other UW offices/services (i.e., Financial Aid, International Programs, etc.)
Consult your career advisor for topics such as:
- Internship and career opportunities and preparation
- Resume and cover letter reviews
- Preparing for job interviews: mock interviews, day-of interview tips, salary negotiation, etc.
- Networking and professional development
- Specific employer contact information and advice
Contact an Advisor
Advising hours are listed below for each academic and career advisor, as are instructions for scheduling an appointment via iCareers. All advising hours for spring quarter 2020 will be hosted remotely via zoom or phone.
- Dowell Eugenio and Bilen Million, Academic Advisors
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; Dowell, 206.616.8721 or Bilen, 206.616.7652
- Spring advising hours:
- Current Informatics majors: Schedule an appointment via iCareers (instructions below) to meet via Zoom or phone.
- Prospective students and Informatics minors: Peer advisors are available Monday-Friday 11 a.m.-4 p.m. via Zoom. Make an appointment by visiting tinyurl.com/ipeeradv.
- Beginning Monday, April 13, the staff advisors will be available by appointment ONLY Monday-Friday. Email email@example.com to schedule your appointment. In the meantime, please make an appointment with a peer advisor using the link above or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions.
- Joe Eckert, Academic Advisor
- Contact: email@example.com; Joe, 206.616.2544
- Spring quarter: By appointment. Monday-Thursday 1-4 p.m. via Zoom or phone
- Schedule an appointment via iCareers (current students only — instructions below) or reach out via Teams for drop-in availability.
- Shasta Jennings, Academic Advisor
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Spring quarter: Schedule an appointment via iCareers (current students only — instructions below) to meet via Zoom or phone.
- Drop-in Advising via Zoom, Tuesdays, 1-4 p.m. PT (current students only – Zoom link available on the MSIM Canvas site)
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spring quarter: advising available by appointment only.
- Caitlin Goldbaum, Assistant Director for Career Services; Julie Loh, Career Advisor
- Contact: email@example.com
- Drop-in hours: Tuesdays, noon-2 p.m.; Wednesdays, 2-4 p.m. via Zoom (Zoom links can be found in iCareers by selecting "Counseling & Calendar" then "Agenda").
- Schedule an appointment via iCareers (current students only — instructions below) to meet via Zoom.
- Learn more on our Career Services page.
Schedule an appointment
- Log in to iCareers
- Click “Calendar” on the left-hand side of the page and then click “Counseling Appt.”
- Select “Request New Appointment,” which shows in a purple box at the bottom of the page.
- Select the type of advising you are looking for, as well as a date range and time and then click “Check Availability.”
- Find an available time slot and click on the advisor’s name next to the time.
- Complete the final page that pops up and click “Submit Request.”
- PLEASE NOTE: Evening hour slots are reserved for online, part-time, or mid-career students who wish to meet virtually.
For current students only. Prospective students can email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
Additional Advising Support
Learn more about:
- Professional development panels, employer sessions and advising events
- Engaging with faculty
- Peer support
- Professional organizations and mentors
- Academic policies and procedures
- iSchool graduate-level grading guidelines