Prerequisites for Current UW Students
In order to be considered for admission, applicants who are current UW students must complete all five prerequisite courses. They must be completed by the end of the quarter prior to submitting your application to the Informatics program.
Prospective students who have completed all listed prerequisites and would like to take additional classes before applying to the program are encouraged to take any courses in the program. (If you are interested in taking Informatics courses but are not currently in the program, please see our Add Code Policy.)
|INFO 200||INFO 200|
|Computer programming||INFO 201*, or one of the following: CSE 142, CSE 143, CSE 154, CSE 160, CSE 163, INFO/STAT/CSE 180|
|Statistics||One class: STAT 221, STAT 290**, STAT 311, STAT 390, QMETH 201, Q SCI 381, SOC 221, CS&SS 221, CSE 312, MATH 390, MATH 394, PSYCH 315, PSYCH 317, BIOSTAT 310, EDPSY 490 or IND E 315*||
If you have already taken STAT 220 (or equivalent), we will accept it to fulfill the statistics prerequisite requirement. However, if you are deciding which statistics class to take, please select from one of the classes we have listed.
|English composition||One class: ENGL 109, ENGL 110, ENGL 121, ENGL 131, ENGL 141, ENGL 197, ENGL 198, ENGL 199, ENGL 281, ENGL 297, ENGL 298 or ENGL 299*||
English 109-110 is a two-quarter course sequence. For those who choose these courses, successful completion of both is needed to fulfill the UW's composition requirement.
For the Autumn 2020 and Winter 2021 admissions cycles, the courses listed are preferred, but any [C] course will be accepted. For all future admissions cycles (after WIN 2021), only the courses listed will be accepted.
|Individuals and Societies course||Any I&S (Individuals and Societies) course [I&S]*||Any [I&S] course other than INFO 200|
*The course designations given are for courses taken at the UW. However, we are happy to accept non-UW courses.
- For schools that have a transfer agreement with the UW, refer to the Equivalency Guide for courses equivalent to the prerequisites.
- Students attending a four-year school or an out-of-state community college should take equivalent courses at the school they are attending. Learn about our practices and policies regarding how we review transfer credits.
- All prerequisite courses must be completed with a numeric grade of 2.0 or higher or AP/IB scores (if awarded credit by the UW).
- We cannot accept CR/NC or S/NS grades to fulfill prerequisite course requirements.
- If you have taken multiple classes that fulfill the same requirement, we will consider the course where you earned the highest grade.
- Prerequisite courses must be completed by the end of the quarter prior to submitting your application.
- If you need assistance finding English composition or I&S courses, please use the General Education Requirement Course Search tool.
If you are interested in taking Informatics courses but are not currently in the program, please see our Add Code Policy.