Admissions: Current UW Students
Informatics has two admissions cycles per year:
- The application to start the program in Autumn 2021 will open in mid-February and have a deadline of Friday, April 2.
- Applications to begin the program in Winter 2022 are expected to open in mid-July 2021 with a deadline in early October.
Beginning with the 2020 admissions cycles, applicants are allowed to apply to the Informatics major a maximum of two times. For this reason, applicants are encouraged to be selective and apply only when they have fulfilled all the criteria and feel that they can present a strong application. (Specifically, applicants who have not completed all five prerequisite courses should not apply to the program.)
Applications submitted prior to 2020 and applications for Freshman Direct Admission do not count toward the two-application limit.
To apply to the Informatics program as a current UW student, you must:
- Be currently enrolled at the UW (Seattle campus) as an undergraduate student.
- Undergraduate students at UW Bothell or UW Tacoma should reference the Transfer Student page for relevant information.
- Complete all five prerequisite courses by the end of the quarter prior to submitting your application.
- Submit an application by the deadline that includes the following:
- Online application
- Schools and transcripts
- List of prerequisite courses
- Application essay
See the Application Materials page for detailed information on each of the above items.
For students who wish to receive feedback on their draft Informatics application document for the Autumn 2020 deadline, we will offer an online review process from Sept. 8-23.
- Submit an attachment of the draft of your essay as a Word document to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also copy it into the body of the email.
- To help expedite reviews, please include in the subject header “Informatics Application Document Feedback.”
- We expect to receive a high volume of emails. We will try our best to accommodate everyone but we cannot guarantee all essays will be reviewed due to limited staffing and support.
Academic advisors will be available to answer your questions about the application process through an online Informatics Application Q&A session on Thursday, Sept. 10, from 3-4 p.m.
- Learn more at a planning session or recruiting event.
- See our Advising & Support page for current drop-in advising hours
- Join the UW iSchool prospective student email list