Students who are completing independent coursework or research with an iSchool faculty member are eligible to receive credits for their independent study. Students pursuing Departmental Honors in Informatics must complete at least 2 credits of INFO 496 or 499 to complete their honors requirements.
If you’re planning to receive credit for an independent study in an upcoming quarter, please review the following Proposal and Registration Procedures:
- Prepare a draft proposal before you ask a faculty member to supervise your independent study.
- Find a faculty member to supervise your independent study.
- Contact the faculty member who has expertise (teaching/research experience) that is relevant to your proposal. You can view a list of faculty at https://ischool.uw.edu/people/faculty.
- Contact the potential faculty supervisor at least 3-4 weeks in advance of the quarter. Provide him/her with a copy of your draft proposal and ask him/her to consider supervising your independent study for the given quarter.
- Submit your proposal via the Experiential Learning Qualtrics Survey. Student Services will contact the faculty member to confirm their role as faculty supervisor.
- Student Services will review your proposal. As a part of the review process, you may be asked to revise/refine your proposal. Once your INFO 499 proposal is approved, you will be emailed an add code in order to register for the independent study for the approved number of credits.
- To ensure that all proposals for research Capstone & experiential learning courses are completed in a timely fashion, proposals will be at the beginning of the quarter in which you intend to register.
Any submission past the deadline will be accepted on a case-by-case and should not be expected to be completed quickly. Additional registration fees may apply.
- Spring 2024: due by March 25
- Summer 2024: due by June 17