Students who are completing independent coursework or research with an iSchool faculty member are eligible to receive credits for their independent study. Students pursuing Departmental Honors in Informatics must complete at least 2 credits of INFO 496 or 499 to complete their honors requirements.
CollectIt for Independent Study Proposals: http://bit.ly/INFOExpLearning
If you’re planning to receive credit for an independent study in an upcoming quarter, please review the following Proposal and Registration Procedures:
- Prepare a draft proposal before you ask a faculty member to supervise your independent study.
- Find a faculty member to supervise your independent study.
- Contact the faculty member who has expertise (teaching/research experience) that is relevant to your proposal. You can view a list of faculty at https://ischool.uw.edu/people/faculty.
- Contact the potential faculty sponsor at least 3-4 weeks in advance of the quarter.
- Provide him/her with a copy of your draft proposal and ask him/her to consider supervising your independent study for the given quarter.
- If the faculty member agrees to supervise your independent study, digitally sign the INFO 499 Proposal Form and route to the faculty supervisor for their approval and digital signature. Hand-written signatures and/or an email from the faculty supervisor verifying their approval are also accepted.
- Submit the completed and signed form, and a proposal statement, online via the Experiential Learning Dropbox or deliver it to the Student Services Office (MGH 420). The Independent Study (INFO 499) Proposal Form is DUE no later than one (1) week prior to the start of your independent study quarter. Late forms will not be accepted – the deadline is firm.
- Student Services will review your proposal. As a part of the review process, you may be asked to revise/refine your proposal. Once your INFO 499 proposal is approved, you will be emailed an add code in order to register for the independent study for the approved number of credits.