Professional Development & Additional Resources
Networking is all about building relationships with working professionals to gain industry insights, learn about opportunities, and create genuine connections. While we often think of networking in formal events like career fairs, it can also happen through informal conversations such as an informational interview. These brief conversations with a professional in a career area of interest are a way for you to learn more about the field, bond over shared experiences or values, and get advice about next steps for your own career.
- Networking while Social Distancing (Recorded 4/16/2020)
- Networking Workshop (Recorded 1/14/2020)
- UW LinkedIn Alumni Tool
Negotiation and Self-Advocacy
Salary negotiation is about ensuring fair compensation for your work. Many industries expect you to negotiate your salary. Although it can feel a little uncomfortable, with some research into the market rate, a few basic negotiation strategies, and consistent practice, you can successfully negotiate a job offer. While working, you may need to negotiate again during performance reviews, pursuing projects or promotions, and in smaller ways every day. Negotiation and self-advocacy are especially important for helping to eliminate the wage gap.
- Negotiation Workshop (Recorded 10/30/2019)
- Advocating for Yourself in the Workplace Panel (Recorded 8/11/2020)
- PayScale Salary Negotiation Guide
- How to Negotiate Your Next Salary
- More Tips for Negotiating Salaries for Tech Jobs