Resources for Employers
The iSchool and its students share a dedication to building an inclusive community at the University of Washington and beyond. To ensure that our students recognize your company’s efforts toward building talented and diverse teams, we strongly encourage recruiters to highlight the company’s DEI work towards supporting underrepresented talent. We have created a guide of best practices for inclusive hiring to help expand your student reach and support your success in recruiting our students.
How does diversity benefit our company?
Companies that promote diversity in the workplace set the company and their employees up for success. Attracting and retaining diverse talent allows for complexity of perspectives and skills to respond effectively to customers representing a diverse world. Companies and organizations that foster a sense of belonging for all employees outperform on profitability, increase retention rates, and create more innovative, reputable, and productive work environments.
How can I reach and retain more diverse students?
To compete against other workplaces who strive to hire and retain diverse talent, companies must build cultures that are diverse and inclusive. As a starting point, some ways that your organization can reach, retain, and advance these students include:
- Write and review your job postings for inclusivity
- Provide opportunities and visibility for underrepresented groups through sponsorship
- Create engagement opportunities such as peer-to-peer mentorship
- Set up diverse interns for success through relationship-building with diverse leadership and paid opportunities
- Regularly review and modify company policies and procedures to best support underrepresented employees