Graduate Nonmatriculated (GNM) Student Application Process
If you want to take courses as a graduate nonmatriculated (GNM) student, you must apply to have GNM status. This includes students who are accepted to the MSIM program for the fall, but want to take summer courses that will apply toward a degree. The online application is submitted through the MyGrad online application.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in any discipline; must be equivalent to a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution
- Must be U.S. citizen or permanent resident; international students on an F-1 or F-2 visa are not eligible to apply for GNM status
- MyGrad application
- A personal statement that outlines your reasons for applying for GNM status and how these relate to your educational and professional goals. This statement (up to one page) may also include experience and skills you would bring to the degree program, your special interests and abilities, and your tentative goals for a professional career.
- Unofficial transcripts
- Log in to MyGrad, create a profile and start an online application
- For application type, select Graduate Non-Matriculated
- For GNM program, select either:
- Information School - Master of Science in Information Management (MSIM) for IMT courses
- Information School - Master of Library and Information Science for LIS courses.
- Submit the application materials online; please do not send to the iSchool.
- Complete the application by using the Submit Application link at the bottom of the page.
Quarterly Application Dates
- Autumn quarter: September 1
- Winter quarter: December 1
- Spring quarter: March 1
- Summer quarter: June 1
To allow time for processing and review, please submit your GNM application by the corresponding date listed above. You must be classified in GNM status by the start of the quarter to have the credits earned that quarter count towards a future graduate degree. You cannot retroactively request GNM status after the quarter has started and/or after you have completed courses.
Applicants will be informed via email of the admission decision 2-3 weeks after review of online application. Once admitted, students will be contacted with instructions regarding registering for courses. Students with GNM status are not able to register until the third day of the quarter on a space available basis.
Contact UW Continuum College Registration Services by phone at 206.543.2310 or by email at email@example.com.