Academic and Career Advising
Have questions about courses or degree requirements? Want advice on how to start your job hunt or negotiate a job offer? Advisors in the iSchool Student Services office are here to help. Our goal is to provide you with quality support throughout your iSchool experience as you explore, develop, and pursue opportunities that align with your life and career goals.
Current iSchool students can email or call an advisor, attend drop-in advising hours, or use iCareers to schedule a one-on-one appointment (in person, phone, or virtual). Please note that iCareers is only available to current iSchool students; prospective students can email iAsk@uw.edu to schedule an advising appointment.
How can we help?
Consult your academic advisor for topics such as:
- How to register for courses
- Guidance on academic performance or other concerns about courses
- Degree plans and course suggestions, including how to integrate an internship or fieldwork in your degree plan
- Information on culminating experience (i.e., Capstone) options
- Policies and procedures at the UW, Graduate School, iSchool, or degree program level
- Filling out forms and paperwork
- Approval of transfer credits, out-of-school courses, etc.
- Navigating through other UW offices/services (i.e., Financial Aid, International Programs, etc.)
Consult your career advisor for topics such as:
- Internship and career opportunities and preparation
- Resume and cover letter reviews
- Preparing for job interviews: mock interviews, day-of interview tips, salary negotiation, etc.
- Networking and professional development
- Specific employer contact information and advice
Contact an Advisor
Drop-in advising hours are listed below for each academic and career advisor, as are instructions for scheduling an appointment via iCareers. Drop-in hours and scheduled appointments take place in the Student Services office: Mary Gates Hall 420.
- Advisors: Dowell Eugenio, Tori Gottlieb, Academic Advisors; Mallory Shaw, Program Coordinator; Julia Bobrovskiy, Andrea Chen, Autumn Derr, Anushree Gopal, Shaarika Kaul, Matthew Li, Yuxing Wu, Peer Advisors
- Contact: email@example.com; Dowell, 206.616.8721; Tori, 206.616.7652; Mallory, 206.616.1197
- Current students can schedule an appointment via iCareers (instructions below). Prospective students should email firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment.
- Drop-in hours for spring quarter:
Please note: In order to prioritize services to current Informatics majors, for the first two weeks of the quarter (April 1-12) and the first two weeks of Autumn 2019 registration (May 10 - June 23), prospective students and minors can ONLY see Informatics peer advisors during their drop-in hours. During the remainder of the quarter, students currently declared in the Informatics major will be prioritized for service with our academic advisors; prospective students and minors are welcome to wait until all current majors have been served, or can meet more immediately with a peer advisor.
|ACADEMIC ADVISORS||PEER ADVISORS|
|MON||1-4 p.m.||11 a.m.-4 p.m.|
4/9: No drop-ins
11 a.m.-4 p.m.
4/9: No drop-ins
|WED||1-4 p.m.||11 a.m.-4 p.m.|
|THU||1-4 p.m.||11 a.m.-4 p.m.|
11 a.m.-4 p.m.
4/4: 12 p.m.-4 p.m.
- Advisors: Joe Eckert, Academic Advisor; Victor Aque, Program Coordinator
- Contact: email@example.com; Joe, 206.616.2544; Victor, 206.543.8743
- Drop-in hours: Spring Quarter: Thursdays 1-4 p.m. Or schedule an appointment via iCareers (current students only - instructions below). Feel free to email if you can't find a time in iCareers or need a meeting after regular business hours.
- Advisors: Shasta Jennings, Academic Advisor; Mallory Shaw, Program Coordinator
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; Shasta, 206.221.3467; Mallory, 206.616.1197
- Drop-in hours: Winter Quarter: Mondays & Thursdays 1-3:30 p.m. Or schedule an appointment via iCareers (current students only - instructions below).
- Advisors: Jayson Sandison, Academic Advisor; Victor Aque, Program Coordinator
- Contact: email@example.com; Jayson, 206.685.9815; Victor, 206.543.8743
- Drop-in hours: Spring Quarter: Tuesdays 10 a.m.-noon. Or schedule an appointment via email or iCareers (current students only - instructions below).
- Advisors: Dean Kirkpatrick, Nayoung Won, Career Services Advisors; Cameron Seib, Program Coordinator
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; Dean, 206.685.5463; Nayoung, 206.221.1563; Cameron, 206.543.0798
- Drop-in hours: Spring Quarter: Tuesdays & Wednesdays 2-4 p.m. Or schedule an appointment via iCareers (current students only - instructions below).
- Learn more on our Career Services page.
Schedule an appointment
- Log in to iCareers
- Click “Calendar” on the left-hand side of the page and then click “Counseling Appt.”
- Select “Request New Appointment,” which shows in a purple box at the bottom of the page.
- Select the type of advising you are looking for, as well as a date range and time and then click “Check Availability.”
- Find an available time slot and click on the advisor’s name next to the time.
- Complete the final page that pops up and click “Submit Request.”
- PLEASE NOTE: Evening hour slots are reserved for online, part-time, or mid-career students who wish to meet virtually.
For current students only. Prospective students can email email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
Additional Advising Support
Learn more about:
- Professional development panels, employer sessions and advising events
- Engaging with faculty
- Peer support
- Professional organizations and mentors
- Academic policies and procedures
- iSchool graduate-level grading guidelines