Working individually or in a defined group, the Capstone experience is student-directed, meaning you take responsibility for identifying and defining a problem to work on, developing the approach and methods needed to address or research the problem, carrying out the investigation, and presenting findings at the Capstone Event.
A Capstone project may be a brand new project, an extension of a project begun in another course, or an extension of a faculty research project. Students are encouraged to work in teams of their choosing; however, individual projects are also fine.
Goals for the Capstone Experience
- Define the information problem or opportunity
- Determine what techniques to use to master this information problem or opportunity
- Synthesize all aspects of the information problem; integrate people, technology and information
- Make a positive difference for the community; be it a business, school, library, hospital, or other organization
- Chose a topic or focus you are passionate about