What is Library & Information Science?
Library and Information Science (LIS) is a profession that is full of people passionate about making a positive change to the world around them, and they tend to be wildly happy about what they do. According to one recent survey, over 85% of information professionals questioned said if they had the choice, they’d do it again.
Information professionals and librarians in particular are in a unique position to bridge the gaps that exist between people, information and technology. In their professional lives, information professionals work to:
- Help scholars locate archival and other resources crucial to their work
- Design and develop knowledge-organization systems that allow organizations to more easily find and use resources developed by their members
- Help doctors more quickly locate health information in critical situations
- Create reader’s advisory resources to encourage young students to develop a lifelong love of reading and learning
- Identify sources of assistance in family and personal crises