Admissions: Current UW Students
Informatics has two admissions cycles per year:
- The application to start the program in Winter 2023 is now open, with a deadline of Sept. 30 at 5 p.m. PT.
- The application to start the program in Autumn 2023 will open in February 2023 and be due early April 2023.
Applicants are allowed to apply to the Informatics major a maximum of two times.* For this reason, applicants are encouraged to be selective and apply only when they have fulfilled all the criteria and feel that they can present a strong application. (Specifically, applicants who have not completed all four prerequisite courses should not apply to the program.)
Applications submitted prior to 2020 and applications for Freshman Direct Admission do not count toward the two-application limit.
*There is one exception to the two-application limit, intended to serve students who have nearly completed the Informatics degree requirements but have not yet been admitted to the program. If you have previously applied for admission twice and were not admitted, and you have completed enough required Informatics courses to be within 15 credits or fewer of completing the degree (in most cases this will be INFO 490/491 Capstone plus one additional required course), you can petition the Chair of Informatics Admissions to request a third review by emailing email@example.com. In your email, clearly explain your circumstances, including information on the specific courses you are lacking, and the Chair will use your letter to decide whether to include you in the admissions process for a third and final time. The email needs to be received one week before the application deadline. Neither review nor admission is guaranteed through this process, and so it should not be part of your major planning.
To apply to the Informatics program as a current UW student, you must:
- Be currently enrolled at the UW (Seattle campus) as an undergraduate student.
- Undergraduate students at UW Bothell or UW Tacoma should reference the Transfer Student page for relevant information.
- Complete all four prerequisite courses by the end of the quarter prior to submitting your application.
- Submit an application by the deadline that includes the following:
- Online application
- Schools and transcripts
- List of prerequisite courses
- Application essay
See the Application Materials page for detailed information on each of the above items.
- Learn more at a planning session or recruiting event.
- See our Advising & Support page for current drop-in advising hours
- Join the UW iSchool prospective student email list