Professional development and continuing education opportunities are a priority at the Information School. The Information School partners with UW Extension to provide a gateway for professional development and career advancement to offer the following options:
- School Library Media Endorsement
- Classroom-based and online certificate programs via UW PCE
- Continuing education for LIS professional development
Individual courses as a non-degree seeking student:
- Nonmatriculated (NM) student
- Graduate nonmatriculated (GNM) student
- GNM status is only an option for LIS courses if the student is also enrolled in the School Library Media Endorsement Program
Graduate Nonmatriculated (GNM) Student Application Process
If you want to take courses as a graduate nonmatriculated (GNM) student, you must apply to have GNM status. This includes students accepted to the MSIM program for the fall, but want to take summer courses that will apply toward a degree. The online application is submitted through the MyGrad online application.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in any discipline; must be equivalent to a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution
- Grade point average of 3.0 or higher; exceptions considered on a case by case basis
- Must be U.S. citizen or permanent resident; international students on an F-1 or F-2 visa are not eligible to apply for GNM status
- MyGrad application
- A personal statement that outlines your reasons for applying for GNM status and how these relate to your educational and professional goals. This statement (up to one page) may also include experience and skills you would bring to the degree program, your special interests and abilities, and your tentative goals for a professional career.
- Unofficial transcripts
- Log in to MyGrad, create a profile and start an online application
- For application type, select Graduate Non-Matriculated
For GNM program, select either:
- Information School - Master of Science in Information Management (MSIM) for IMT courses
- Information School - Master of Library and Information Science for LIS courses. (Only individuals enrolled in the School Library Media Endorsement Program will be considered for GNM status for LIS courses.)
- Submit the application materials online; please do not send to the iSchool
- Complete the application by using the Submit Application link at the bottom of the page
Quarterly Application Dates
- Autumn quarter: September 1
- Winter quarter: December 1
- Spring quarter: March 1
- Summer quarter: June 1
To allow time for processing and review, please submit your GNM application by the corresponding date listed above. You must be classified in GNM status by the start of the quarter to have the credits earned that quarter count towards a future graduate degree. You cannot retroactively request GNM status after the quarter has started and/or after you have completed courses.
Applicants will be informed via email of the admission decision 2-3 weeks after review of online application. Once admitted, students will be contacted with instructions regarding registering for courses. Students with GNM status are not able to register until the third day of the quarter on a space available basis.
Read the GNM FAQ
Contact the UW Non-Degree Registration Services office at 206.897.8939 or 800.506.1325.