Curriculum for the MSIM program is typically delivered in the traditional classroom setting. However, not all of our courses are offered in an on-campus mode; you may take some online courses throughout your degree program. Examples include some of the information technology courses or special topics courses that are only available online. Realizing the benefit of diversifying your ability to learn in various modes, engage in group work both face-to-face and online, and utilize various technologies will enhance your ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with others.
Starting in 2014, the curriculum will comprise a set of core courses that establish the breadth of the field and build foundational skills, integrating experiences at the end of each year to provide opportunity to apply theory to real-life contexts. General electives to build management and technical skills as well as electives building depth in focused areas of specialization to round out the program. Note that while internships are not mandatory, they are strongly encouraged for MSIM students as both a means of integrating the knowledge gained in the classroom and of professional development.
Foundational Core Courses
- Foundations: Information, Communication, Teamwork (IMT500) *
- Introduction to Information Architecture (IMT535) *
- Policy and Ethics in Information Management (IMT550) *
- Analytic Methods for Information Professionals (IMT570) **
- Fieldwork in Information Management (Internship) (IMT590)
- Capstone I (INFX595) *
- Capstone II (INFX596) *
General Elective Courses ***
- Management of Information Organizations (IMT580)
- Enterprise Information Systems Analysis and Design (IMT541)
- Principles of Information Project Management (IMT587)
- Information Systems and Modeling Using XML (INFX542)
- Relational Database Design (INFX543)
* No "waivers" will be approved for these courses.
** Students may apply for a "waiver" only if they have completed a graduate-level research methods course.
*** In addition to the general elective courses listed here, you can choose from a range of advanced management and technology electives to develop your skills in specific areas.